Northern Cyprus Car Hire
Why would you want to rent a car while visiting Northern Cyprus? Well that depends on what you plan to do while visiting Northern Cyprus. That may not have been the most straight forward of answers but is a simple fact. If this will be your first visit to Northern Cyprus then your best option might be going along with a tour. That would probably be the best way to maximize your stay on the island. Sure it might seem fast paced but they will rush you around the various sites and provide you with information and facts not to mention photo opportunities of the sites that will surely make it into your albums. If you have been here before or are more adventurous then driving yourself around the island may be the best option for you. There are certain things that you must keeping mind if you do intend to rent a car in Northern Cyprus.
- Traffic in Northern Cyprus flows on the left side.
- You will need a valid driver's licence from your country of residence.
- Foreign driver's licenses are only valid for three months from your entry to Northern Cyprus.
- Highway speed limits are set at 100km/h and 65 to 60 km/h.
- Speed limits are enforced by radar devices and cameras.
- Front seat passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children are not allowed to sit in the front passenger seat.
- Using a cell (mobile) phone while driving is not allowed.
- As in any country you should not drink and drive.
- Rentals can not be taken to the South of the island (South Cyprus, over the green line).
- Most car hire companies require you to be of at least 25 years of age in order to rent a car.
As of late there have been various signs posted on major highways that indicate that there are speed traps that are enforced by cameras. It is advised that you drive as you would drive elsewhere in the world where speed limits are enforced. For those of you visiting North Cyprus from countries where traffic flows on the left it is advised that you use a car with right side steering. If you are not comfortable doing so many car rental companies offer cars that have left side steering although you should be aware of the limitations in using such vehicles in Northern Cyprus. As traffic here flows on the left over taking vehicles might be harder for you as will crossing and turning at some intersections.
Also if you plan on travelling to the south while staying in Northern Cyprus you will have to find an alternate means of transport while in the South. There are many places where you can park your car and then walk across the border.
Some of you may be wondering why at most car companies you have to be at least 25 years of age in order to rent a car. Well according to the companies while some have this age limit as a preference, others do so because they state that insurance companies will not insure drivers that are under the age of 25. However this is not the case at every car hire company, it depends where you go but for the most part they comply with this rule.